Munich Airport publishes environmental plans

CO2 emissions per passenger have reduced by almost half since 2005

Alongside other leading European aviation associations, ACI Europe presented a strategy paper to the European commission in Brussels, outlining how system partners can work collectively to achieve carbon neutrality within the sector.

The aim – which is laid out in the “Destination 2050 – A route to net zero European Aviation” paper – is to make the sector fully sustainable in the near future. Over 200 airports within Europe stated back in 2019 that they would deliver net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.

Munich Airport
Photo Munich Airport

Since 2009, Munich Airport has been following a stringent climate change strategy which has resulted in it reducing CO2 emissions every year. The airport hopes to reach its carbon neutral goal by 2030.

"Regardless of the enormous challenges we are currently facing due to the global pandemic and its consequences, the development toward sustainable air transport remains our most important project for the future. With the initiative launched at European level and the extensive measures we have already implemented or initiated in Munich - we can also achieve our ambitious goals,” said Jost Lammers, CEO of Munich Airport and president of ACI Europe.

The German hub is investing around €150m (£130m) into the environmental initiative until it reaches its completion.

Passenger numbers increased to 48 million in 2019 – compared with just 28.6 million in 2005 – but despite this, CO2 emissions per customer were reduced by 46%.

Between now and 2030, carbon emissions relating to the airport will progressively decline by 60%, with the remaining 40% reducing through compensatory measures.

Over 280 measures put in place alongside this target have already begun. The airport also plans to expand its electric mobility initiative and already has a 38% share of electric and hybrid vehicles.

Munich was the first commercial airport to switch all its apron lighting to LED technology – further reducing energy costs.