IN NUMBERS

img_23-1_77.jpg
Boeing

2 NEW BOEINGS FOR ROYAL AIR MAROC

Royal Air Maroc has taken delivery of two new Boeing models as it expands and modernises its fleet. First into service was the 787-9 Dreamliner, CN-RAM (c/n 64625), which began flying to New York ten days after its delivery on December 11, 2018. Another three 787-9s are on order. On December 21, 2018, Royal Air Maroc received its first 737 MAX 8 (CN-MAX, c/n 60008), with three more due over the coming months. The carrier already operates 737NGs and 787 MAX 8s, which contribute to its fleet of 60 Boeings. Guy Martin

787 DREAMLINERS DELIVERED

Boeing December handed over the 787th example of its 787 Dreamliner to come offits production line. The milestone aircraft is 787-8 B-1168 (c/n 38797) and was delivered to the lessor AerCap, which is leasing it to China Southern Airlines. The aircraft features special ‘787’ titles in both English and Chinese along the forward fuselage. The first 787 was delivered to All Nippon Airlines in 2011, since when the total 787 fleet has flown nearly 300 million passengers on more than 1.5 million flights. Boeing says the 787 has opened no fewer than 210 new nonstop routes since entering service. China Southern now operates ten 787-8s and eight 787-9s. Mark Broadbent

img_23-2_59.jpg

100 737 MAX FOR GREEN AFRICA

Green Africa Airways has committed to acquiring up to 100 737 MAX 8 aircraft, split into 50 firm orders and 50 options in what is potentially Boeing’s largest aircraft agreement from Africa, worth $11.7 billion at list prices. The late December announcement comes as the airline gears up to begin commercial operations after receiving its Air Service License in May 2018. It is being led by Chief Executive Offcer and founder Babawande Afolabi, a former investment banker for Morgan Stanley. The airline plans to operate in Nigeria before moving across Africa. Guy Martin

4 ETHIOPIAN AIRCRAFT TO GHANA

Ethiopian Airlines will supply four aircraft to establish a new national carrier for Ghana. Ethiopian will be the majority shareholder (49%) in the as-yet unnamed airline. The Ghanaian government and private investors will hold the remaining 51% of the airline, which will take the place of the defunct Ghana Airways and Ghana International Airlines. Operations will commence in early 2019. Guy Martin

img_23-3_33.jpg